Thursday, October 23

Tax Return

For a family whose income is as low as ours, some things are put off until we have the money.  The dryer is broken, the sink plugged, the shower and tub nozzles both work at the same time, and the tub drain is slow.  My car needs brakes, the wagon needs another battery, the kids need jeans (preferably without holes).  I've been stringing my eldest daughter along, waiting for the right time to get her front teeth bonded to hide a hereditary imperfection in the enamel. The Playstation has been broken now almost longer than we have owned it. When do all these things get fixed?

 "When the tax return comes, we'll take care of it."

Ha.  Tax time has come and gone, and about half the list is taken care of.  I got the kids some jeans, and some shoes, because holes are infectious.  The tub no longer fills when I shower, which means the hot water lasts longer, but the tub drain is still slow, a problem aggravated by having 7 hair beasts using the shower alongside the hubby and my son. The sink is still plugged.  The dryer is still broken, but at least we have a clothes line now.  The car still needs brakes, and the wagon is still making do with a battery that won't hold a charge for more than a couple days.  My daughter's teeth?  I'm hoping our medical will cover it, because, hey, malformed enamel!  It's not just a cosmetic issue ( I will argue this one!).

Fast forward months later.  It's August and all those things and more need to be taken care of.  The girls now need bras and everyone needs undergarments.  Some dressers are not holding together well anymore, and I'm running out of silverware.  My plates, all melmac, are also running away.  I'm guessing this is why that nursery rhyme exists, because it must be true!

Thankfully, we have a pantry full of food, freezers stocked, cabinets overflowing because I broke down and applied for food stamps and medical coverage.  Kids are getting shots they missed out on, I am getting work done that is sorely needed, hubby had a procedure done and blood pressure medication prescribed, and psychiatric help is on the way for at least one in the family.  Me? Not for me, but I may ask if padded cells with pretty buckled jackets are covered...

Wow. I started writing this one a long time ago. It's almost Halloween, couple years later. The station wagon is long gone. My eldest told me she doesn't want to cover up her teeth because they are different, and she is fine with it. My plastic plates have all disappeared, replaced by a hand me down set of dishes someone got tired of. I've since bought silverware at the thrift store since I won't have a full set of anything matching long enough for it to matter. My tub is unplugged (thank God and my mom!), and the dryer works, but I don't like using it, because electricity is more expensive than sun and wind. The Playstation is fixed. I have probably been through another set or more of brakes on my car, which needs more than brakes now. I have been in this house almost 11 years, and am still waiting to get rid of this nasty mottled brown carpet. The tile on my once beautiful old counters is falling off around my sink. The faucet is dripping because the water pressure is so high here that I have to replace it every few years. My security screen is not secure. The girls still need underthings.

We'll take care of all of this at tax time.

No comments:

Post a Comment